In 1937, Rice Memorial Hospital was built with a trust from Colonel Cushman Rice in memory of his parents, Lieutenant Governor and Mrs. Albert Rice. During the next 75 years it grew to become the largest city-owned hospital in Minnesota. Rice is currently a Level 3 Trauma hospital and its service area encompasses 14 counties, providing healthcare coverage to a quarter of a million people. The original 37-bed hospital cost less than $200,000. It began with 19 employees and eight medical staff. The first building addition occurred in 1943; the hospital expanded to 60 patient beds, 81 employees and 18 medical staff. A second addition took place in 1957 at a cost of $900,000. Patient beds increased to 102, medical staff to 25, and employee staff to 134. Rice was designated as a regional hospital by the Minnesota Department of Health. During the 1960s, Rice added dialysis, pathology, physical therapy, nuclear medicine and an intensive and coronary care unit to its expanding service line. A third edition went up in 1973 at a cost of $4.5 million, increasing patient beds to 159. Staff count reached 512 and medical staff grew to 49. Healthcare services added during the 1970s included occupational, speech and respiratory therapies, telemetry, mammography, ultrasound, mental health, chaplaincy, infection control and patient education. Outpatient services increased in the 1980s, causing Rice to add a fourth addition and remodel to meet changing regional healthcare needs. The expansion cost $12 million. Rice was designated as a regional hospital emergency medical service center and regional trauma center for southwest Minnesota. A cancer center was added in 1986 at a cost of $1.7 million. The most recent building expansion project, begun in 2001, cost more than $50 million and included a renovation of the entire hospital campus. It was designed to meet and exceed the expectations of its regional healthcare community. Rice has developed into a state-of-the-art facility with a beautiful, healing environment that enhances quality clinical care. As a result of the remodel, there are now 100 private and spacious patient rooms, each with large windows and a foldout couch. Throughout the hospital, sights, sounds, colors and textures all come together to create comfortable and familiar surroundings that nourish the whole person – body, mind and spirit. It is a progressive way of envisioning healthcare delivery where the environment supports healing and reduces stress in the lives of patients and their families. The Rice Health Foundation was created in 1986 by members of the hospital board and the community to provide expanded healthcare optioins to the hospital and community. Through philanthrophy, the foundation supports the vitality and quality of care of Rice Memorial Hospital. Today, Rice employs more than 900 staff and provides dozens of specialty inpatient and outpatient services. Two hundred medical staff maintain active and affiliate privileges, representing 35 medical specialties.